cavalier resurrection boy

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
musicman

cavalier resurrection boy

Post by musicman »

:( Hi there i m hoping someone can help me out on here with my vauxhall cavalier mk3 1.7 turbo diesel with the izuzu engine its the 95 model on m reg, me an my dad had to put a new fuel cut off solenoid or idle stop solenoid as its listed in the haynes manual as the engine was running on when you turned ignition off, before we did this the car was running spot on ,just not stopping when turning off, the problem its having is as soon as the car is put in gear and under load its moving a little then completely losing power and nearly stalling, usually i can reverse off my drive at around 1500 rpms as on a bit of an incline will pull off no probs, now hav to proper rev car and as soon as it starts to move engine loses power and trys to stall , engine runs fine at idling speed throughgout, when we replaced fuel cut off solenoid did it to the letter in haynes manual all ports were plugged so theres been no dirt ingress, this problem has occured since put new part on as wasnt like this before, weve put the old one back on and is still doing it , my dad helped me do the job and thinks its definatly fuel starvation and is something to do on engine management side a sensor or relay , a friend says it sounds like its going into lymph mode an problem on engine managment side , we joined the vauxhall cavalier chevete club an was advised by one of there top guys to check ecu with engine diagnosics , we were were recently at billington vauxhall show and hav had some conflicting advice with regards to these engine diagnostic testers a few have told us to get one of e bay , amazon ect will do the job an some have said to be careful what you buy with these testers as theres a lot of knock off cheap clone ones that can end up damaging your ecu could anyone shed any light on this for us would be most grateful with regards to problem on my cav an these testers cheers john
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: cavalier resurrection boy

Post by humbucker »

Hi John. Does the engine management light come on at any point when you're experiencing problems? A fault code reader will only provide you with useful info if there is a code stored in the system (EML light on). The ideal tool for the job is a proper Tech 1, but you can read engine fault codes by using a paper clip in the diagnostic socket under the bonnet of your car. The link is below. Give it a go and report back with your findings.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=630
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Agreed - fault code testing will not do any harm.

From memory, only Tech1 will program a pre 1996 vauxhall engine anyway.

From what you describe -the only other programmers are Opcom interfaces...
Now I will not spam the site, but I am probably the resident opcom expert, and will tell you that it will not diagnose or program a Cavalier - end of!!

So again - we are back to Tech 1 or the onboard flash codes.
I must admit that I do not recall seeing the 1.7TD engine in the ALDL diagnostic manual.

My thoughts hint towards an air lock or something in the fuel system... Is there a need to purge or prime the pump etc prior to running the engine.

Apologies, I am not a diesel expert.

Looking around the web - I am led to believe that the TD is a purely mechanical system, so no electronic diagnostics.

It is all down to good old fashioned mechanics.
Timing and boost and so on...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Also your symptoms do remind me of fuel starvation.
(SPi pump on a MPi engine in my case).

So it is a matter of retracing your steps..
A partial blockage caused by a badly fitted seal.?
Pipe work connected incorrectly?
Mechanical linkage or settings disturbed during the dismantling, rebuilding procedure?.

Coincidental fault caused by disturbing the engine?
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

the diesel engine is purely mechanical.
the solenoid should have 12v with the ingnition on. once the ignition has been switched off the solenoid is released and cuts fuel.
id first off check the voltage in both instances to indicate that the fuel relay is working effectively.
it does sound odd as the solenoid is either open or closed and not inbetween
fontayne56

Post by fontayne56 »

Is your breather clear on your fuel tank ? I know my lawn mower stopped because of this .. If air cant get in fuel wont come out ....

they have roughly the same engine lol !