C18NZ vacuum lines

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
opvest

C18NZ vacuum lines

Post by opvest »

Hello

Can someone show me a picture/diagram where the vacuum lines are on C18NZ? Quite a few of the lines have cracks in them and the idle isn't very smooth so i decided to give it a go by changing the vacuum lines. Is there anything else reasonable and easy to do to improve the idle?
And how many vacuum lines does Mk3 Cavalier have on its C18NZ?

Thanks for the replies :thumb.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: C18NZ vacuum lines

Post by Robsey »

There is a blue vacuum pipe from the carbon cannister going from left to 3/4 of the way to the right of the engine bay bulk head... behind the flimsy black plastic cover panel.

The MAP sensor is approx around that point on the bulk head.

There is a fine red vacuum pipe from the air filter box to the back of the throttle body top hat.

Then there is another vacuum pipe from the back of the top hat to the egr valve and another point on the throttle body.

Normally it is the plastic elbows that break up for fun.

Note also that the trunking between the air filter to the top hat can also split.
opvest

Post by opvest »

Since it was somewhat difficult for me to understand Robsey's text without pictures :oops:, I'll add some.
I changed the lines represented in green.
But what are the ones in red? The one in the first picture and the upper one in the third is the same line. Also the brown-ended line from the second picture and black-ended line from the third one is the same one.
Although I bought the lines with the same internal diameter, some of them were a little loose afterwards and I tightened them so they would't move about.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

opvest wrote:Hello

Can someone show me a picture/diagram where the vacuum lines are on C18NZ? Quite a few of the lines have cracks in them and the idle isn't very smooth so i decided to give it a go by changing the vacuum lines. Is there anything else reasonable and easy to do to improve the idle?
And how many vacuum lines does Mk3 Cavalier have on its C18NZ?

Thanks for the replies :thumb.
Hi Opvest where did you get replacement vacuum end elbows? I ordered a pack of ones for a mini on ebay but couldn't see anything specific for vauxhall.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Umm see this pic:

http://s8.postimg.org/8bid4iyjp/pic4.jpg

Directly above where you drew the little green circle there is a silver block like item with a vacuum line on it I do not see this on my car? the vac pipe looks like the one with little white circular cylindrical thing on it.

Any ideas what that is?

Just noticed this looks like left hand drive, maybe some extra emission control item.

Cheers

Andrew
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Looking at the position of the brake fluid reservoir, yes that does appear to be Left Hand Drive.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Couple more thoughts:

The pipe from oil breather at back of cam cover does this go to the back of the carb below water pipe?

The vac pipe on carb directly behind EGR valve where does this one go?
Rolfey

Post by Rolfey »

Sorry to dig up an old post but does anyone have any pictures (that work) of the vacuum lines??