Locating a new fuel tank for the old girl - Urgent!

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Sapphire

Locating a new fuel tank for the old girl - Urgent!

Post by Sapphire »

Hi,
Sorry about misplaced 'helpless female' messages... I'm very new to this site and have only just worked out how to ask a question.
I'm also currently in France.
I am trying to get hold of a new petrol tank for my Cavalier LS. 1.8 (1993), and so far most places who say they have one, actually don't.
My tank has a hole next to the fuel-lines, which they say it can't be repaired.
Any suggestions please?
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Locating a new fuel tank for the old girl - Urgent!

Post by humbucker »

Hello Sapphire, and welcome to the Mk3 Cavalier Owners Club! :wave

Is this any good to you?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311389368464
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Thanks very much for the welcome :wave
It would be ...if they posted to France ...but the listing says they don't.

Is there anything I need to know, to know if it fits, before I beg them to post it here for me?
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Thanks - Will that definitely fit? Can't afford to make a mistake here.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Is the hole near the bottom of the tank? You can temporarily patch it up with some strong glue and a bike repair patch as you can find those items anywhere, France is full of bikes :lol:

Clean the area around the hole and be liberal with the glue, it'll stop it leaking for now until you get a replacement. Obviously it's not something that can be welded without removal of the tank by a professional.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Cavalier342 wrote:Is the hole near the bottom of the tank? You can temporarily patch it up with some strong glue and a bike repair patch as you can find those items anywhere, France is full of bikes :lol:

Clean the area around the hole and be liberal with the glue, it'll stop it leaking for now until you get a replacement. Obviously it's not something that can be welded without removal of the tank by a professional.

Thanks for responding - I'm not exactly a mechanic though - Took it to a garage - they said it's all breaking apart where the pipes connect and not ideal for repair so I'll need a new one.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:Obviously it's not something that can be welded without removal of the tank by a professional.
For the relatively low cost of a new fuel tank, I would avoid welding a faulty one. Besides, petrol and naked flames are not exactly a fantastic combination!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Oh I see, didn't realize it was that bad. Worth a shot... Hope you get it repaired soon as.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

humbucker wrote:Besides, petrol and naked flames are not exactly a fantastic combination!
I know that :lol:

I was referring to an episode of Wheeler Dealers where Ed sent a tank from an old British sports car to a professional for repairs, he de-fumed it and welded over it to make it good as new, but again that's a professional job. :thumb
Previous:

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Thanks guys :)
Someone sent me this link for vectra tank ...will it be exactly the same?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Kraftstoffbehalt ... SwPgxVLmS8
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Yes, the Vectra A is the European marque of the Cavalier, double check with them that you want one for your single injection engine, not the 1.8 carburetor engine. If yours is a 93 model, it would be the single injector. Difference is the fuel pump is inside the tank, unlike on the carburetor models.
Previous:

Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Hello again,
Getting to be a desperate woman here...
I'm told the tank in Germany is the wrong one - Although I am not sure they really understood my query, with the language barrier.
The tank on ebay would be great ...but seller doesn't normally post to France, doesn't receive messages online and doesn't answer the phone.
Any further suggestions please?
Thanks
Super89

Post by Super89 »

Try http://www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk/ it will be expensive, Part number: 90443805.

I'm sure someone in France can get hold of a fuel tank for you. Local part shops...Breakers yards 2nd hand.. etc.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kraftstoffbeh ... 8#shpCntId

Delivery*
EUR 11.00
France Standard Int'l Versand

item location: Reinbek, Germany
Postage to: European Union

I really cant see how it can be the wrong one. If your car is a 1.8 injection engine?, The seller lists the part number:90443805 in his add which is the right one for the injection engine 93 on cavaliers
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Hi Super89, I have looked at the UK one that I was given a link for and it does look the same - Then I looked at one that was advertised for an engine with a carb and noted the difference. I agree with you - it looks right.
It was probably a language problem with the German - Anyway, I have ordered it so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for taking the time - Much appreciated :thumb
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Keep us posted!
Dampfmann

Post by Dampfmann »

If your exercise in Germany is unsuccessful try AUTO VAUX at Wakefield - my local supplier and very helpful.
I have just spoken to Craig there and he has checked their supply systems.
He says that he could obtain a new tank from Germany!! - might be same source as yours.
The supplier has stock.
They will ship to France.
Auto Vaux - 01924376003 or +441924376003
Good Luck
DG
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

Thank you so much Dampfmann - Just waiting for garage to let me know the outcome - If all fails, this will be an enormous help. Much appreciated :-)
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

humbucker wrote:Keep us posted!
Got my car back - Garage said the tank from Germany was different but adaptable - YAY!
They had to reshape the edges a bit to fit it around the rest of the car and put a piece in to make the pipe fit. Seems the Vectra A is not quite the same as a Cavalier underneath. Glad the garage were flexible and capable of thinking outside the box... so many in France just wouldn't go there. I was lucky.
Thanks, everyone, for all your input - Really appreciate it. xxx :love
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Glad to hear it's sorted. I wonder what the difference is then, far as we all knew they should have been the same part. Well I guess there's always something new to learn.
Previous:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Great to hear that you got it sorted! Now that you can sigh a breath of relief, why not show us some pics of the ol' girl in the 'Projects, Restorations and Runabouts' section? 8-)
Super89

Post by Super89 »

I recently put a new fuel tank on one of my cavaliers. Had the same problems. The tank was the correct part but non genuine..The edges had to be bent like the old original tank. After that it was a perfect fit.

I think its just the difference from genuine to non genuine tank.

:thumb
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

humbucker wrote:Great to hear that you got it sorted! Now that you can sigh a breath of relief, why not show us some pics of the ol' girl in the 'Projects, Restorations and Runabouts' section? 8-)
I'd love to do that, humbucker, but I don't use 3rd party photo hosts because they can pass your photos on to others.
Thanks for all your help. I hope you don't mind if I call in from time to time :D .