C18NZ no start after reinstalling fuel pipes/Wiring etc.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
cavalier1990

C18NZ no start after reinstalling fuel pipes/Wiring etc.

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

I'm currently restoring my C1.8NZ and tonight tried putting fuel in tank and churning over to no avail. At first I thought maybe I hadn't put enough fuel in as the tank was totally dry, so tried more and still nothing. I checked plugs they were bone dry, fuel gauge is showing empty, even though put about 3 gallons in, and I checked both the plug on sender unit for feed, the one under seat, and the plug underneath, which I'll admit don't know exactly what that is for as there is also 2 little wires with pins that go in there. I'm assuming feed for pump or whatever. No readings either side but that was only with ignition on and not trying to start.

Would fuel gauge not reading point to a bigger problem, say a common earthing problem or the like? Basically I only had tank out and back in so basically plugged everything back up the way it was before. The only other electrical work I've done today, which is pretty much most of the leccy work I've done on this project apart from unplugging and plugging back in, was to change over the driver side wing indicator.

Since the new unit came with a plug fitting I had to cut the long wire that runs from side to side and put a spade connector on it plus remove the earth cable from the little earth bolt on kick panel. There was also an earth here and wonder if any tampering about this area, especially that earth, as it is a dog to get off and on again, might be causing gauge not to work? Then that leads me to think if that is the case then the fuel delivery is separate problem?

Any points I can check for volts, or known tests for pump relay etc. with my multimeter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew
cavalier1990

Re: C18NZ no start after reinstalling fuel pipes/Wiring etc.

Post by cavalier1990 »

So tank has had to come out as discovered a leak in it. Note to self - if tank looks rusty replace it!

While I had tank out I checked voltage for wiring to pump, which is the plug under the back seat. I tried it with ignition on and also when cranking to no avail. Something else I noticed is that when cranking I can hear a little tick tick sound from one of the relays behind the kick panel. Not sure if this is correct or not. It wouldn't be audible had I put the kick panel back on but can hear it while cranking. Does this sound right?
planetc

Post by planetc »

Check the voltage at the pump when cranking, it won't do anything until you crank. If it's been dry a while it might be that the pump is stuck, worth clumping it. You can check the current draw of the pump if you have voltage, normal is around 2.5-3a, less than two suggests no fuel or an impeller spinning, 4a plus is an indication that the pump is sticking or has a blocked intake.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Looks like it was just a lazy battery causing this. I hooked up a decent battery and away it went.