Reinstalling In tank pump

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
cavalier1990

Reinstalling In tank pump

Post by cavalier1990 »

Hi

When putting the tank pump back in does the filter point back towards the other side of the tank or forwards towards the closest side? Or even at a sideways angle? I forgot what way it was pointing when I took it out. You can swivel it 360 degrees on it's mount and it is mounted off centre. There is a pot inside the tank that it goes into so I set it pointing back the way as the pot is a little back from the mount hole. I'm assuming the filter sits right on the bottom of the tank and is actually pressed down a little bit against the base of the tank when you tighten up the bolts; the bottom of the filter is flat on the bottom, and the grilled mesh pick ups round the filter are above this at a small angle so they are not flat on the bottom of the tank.

Thanks

Andrew
Cavalier342

Re: Reinstalling In tank pump

Post by Cavalier342 »

Been years since I replaced mine, from what I can marginally remember, the filter on the bottom of the pump is an oval-ish shape, not a circle, I think I had it pointing towards the back of the tank when re-fitting, if you look in the tank, there will be like a plastic housing almost, it'll sit inside that, that's almost like a reserve area, if you will, if it goes in smoothly, then you've done it correctly. I don' t think it should touch the inside of the tank, at least in theory it shouldn't so it doesn't pick up bits of crap at the bottom...
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...