Help with correct fuel tank selection and finding a supplier

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Kinky John

Help with correct fuel tank selection and finding a supplier

Post by Kinky John »

Hello everyone,

I need to find a new fuel tank for the Cavalier (95M, V6, Auto). Could any of you help me find a supplier and also confirm fitment details please?

I filled it up at the weekend, and there’s a heavy smell of petrol around the car. I’ve had a good look around it and underneath, and the tank is weeping from the seam along the rear and o/s area, it really needs a new tank. I’ve also noticed that the rubber pipe from the filler neck to the tank is cracking and is also allowing petrol to slowly seep out and form a layer on the outside of it.

I seem to be having a little trouble finding a supplier, I suppose even the newest Cavalier is 20 years old now, and people don’t really stock them.

I believe my tank to have the part number 90443805. If this is correct, Autovaux do have it listed on their site, but it comes in at over £400. I was hoping to cut the price down a little if I could.

I’ve done a search on here for related posts and i see that quite a few people have put new tanks on, there’s some quite recent posts relating to it actually. For those that have replaced them, where did you get them from?

Also, if I’m reading EPC and the few listings I can see online right, I see that there only seems to be one tank for all the injection models, one tank for the carb models and one tank for the diesels. Is this actually the case, do I have that correct?

Obviously I’ve checked ebay, just to see what’s out there, and some are listed as for the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 but don’t mention the 2.5 V6. However, even on ebay, there are only 3 or 4 listed, there’s not a huge choice. But they are priced between £60 and £70, which makes it much more affordable for me.

I will email them to confirm, but I just wondered if I could ask people here first, as I think there’s more knowledge and experience here than with some random ebay seller selling whatever old stock he comes across.

Also, for those that have replaced the tank, were you able to reuse the old seals for the pump and level sender? I’d be happy to get new seals, but I don’t expect any Vauxhall place to stock them anymore, though I will try. Same goes for the petrol hose from the filler neck to tank, is it possible to get generic fuel pipe of that large a diameter?

I know I can get rolls of 6mm, 8mm etc. fuel hose no problem, but this is really big diameter, perhaps 40mm, and I can’t find anything that large. Plus, if memory serves me correctly, I think it tapers down in size, and one end is larger than the other. That puts me in the unfortunate position of having to try and repair a 20 year old petrol pipe with rizla papers or something…

Thanks for your time

Mark
Current Car: 1995 M Cavalier V6 CDX, Hatch, Automatic
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Re: Help with correct fuel tank selection and finding a supp

Post by Lowrider Dave »

As far as I can tell, 90443805 is the only number still relevant. You will have to check with a Vauxhall parts person to double check. I bought my tank (for 2.0 GLS c20NE) via ebay and although I had my doubts about ordering it blind, it has arrived in one piece and looks pretty good. I have yet to swap it, so cannot tell if everything lines up properly. It came with seals for pump and sender.

Ebay user:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/brandnewcarpa ... 7675.l2559
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mk3alan

Re: Help with correct fuel tank selection and finding a supp

Post by Mk3alan »

If the worst comes to the worst there is a 'slosh sealant' product which is poured into a cleaned tank and sloshed around to give a sort of inner chamber.
Never used it but it's supposed to work.

Alan