2.0 16V Starts then stalls 93 Hall sensor

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Steven715

2.0 16V Starts then stalls 93 Hall sensor

Post by Steven715 »

Hello there to you all, I am in need of some help,

The other day I went to pick the wife up from work the engine was cold started fine and drove fine, got to her place turned off the engine about 2-3 minuets until she arrived I started the car and it instantly stalled ECU light flashing turned off and on again started ok and ran ok with no loss of power.
I done the paper clip test and the only code I got was 93 Hall sensor - voltage low (Quad Driver Module) and obviously code 12.
Yesterday it happened again the engine was cold (been off for about 3 hours after a good run 10-12 miles) again started the engine for the second time and all was normal just checked for codes and still got the 93 Hall sensor. I take it this is the dizzy replacement ignition module?

I have checked the plug wires and 1 of them is not the same as the rest :o the plug wells are dry but there is evidence of the cam cover gas kit slightly weaping. All these things will be addressed as soon as I build up my money and the warmer weather gets here. (Can't wait ;) )
Can anyone give me any ideas what to check next?

Many thanks everyone.
1995 (N) Cavalier 2.0 16V CDX
X20XVE Engine
Steven715

Re: 2.0 16V Starts then stalls 93 Hall sensor

Post by Steven715 »

No ideas anyone?

Does anyone know what the device is that I'm looking for?
X20XVE Engine
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Steven715 wrote:No ideas anyone?

Not too familiar with this engine Steve so not sure but is the hall sensor easy to replace? Are you think it might be something else and this code is only a symptom?

Here's a post on what looks like a similar problem to yours:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-me ... i-cav.html
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

cavalier1990 wrote:

Not too familiar with this engine Steve so not sure but is the hall sensor easy to replace? Are you think it might be something else and this code is only a symptom?

Thanks for the reply :thumb
The research that I have done before coming here is that generally the code is caused by other symptoms, I do believe that this is the case with mine as there is no running issues when the engine is running/ driving.
The link you gave me a couple of ideas to search different words etc, the one thing that seems to be consistent with my problem is the ICV could be the cause as mine at low idle seems to hunt slightly so I think that is is the potential fault and to me makes sense, so now my next approach will be to clean the ICV and when the weather gets better a new set of wires and maybe plugs after I have inspected them.

To answer your question re the hall sensor I'm still unsure what it is as the distributor is the electronic style but I believe the hall sensor will either be near the distributor or is the distributor, gut feeling is though this is not at fault.

Thanks again for the reply cavalier1990 as this has given me direction even if it's the wrong one I can then at least rule it out. :thumb
X20XVE Engine
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Steven715 wrote:
cavalier1990 wrote:

Thanks for the reply :thumb
The research that I have done before coming here is that generally the code is caused by other symptoms, I do believe that this is the case with mine as there is no running issues when the engine is running/ driving.
The link you gave me a couple of ideas to search different words etc, the one thing that seems to be consistent with my problem is the ICV could be the cause as mine at low idle seems to hunt slightly so I think that is is the potential fault and to me makes sense, so now my next approach will be to clean the ICV and when the weather gets better a new set of wires and maybe plugs after I have inspected them.

To answer your question re the hall sensor I'm still unsure what it is as the distributor is the electronic style but I believe the hall sensor will either be near the distributor or is the distributor, gut feeling is though this is not at fault.

Thanks again for the reply cavalier1990 as this has given me direction even if it's the wrong one I can then at least rule it out. :thumb
No problem hope it gets sorted Steven and sure you can find some more help on here if struggling with it.
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

Thanks I will do, it hasn't done it since I think a new set of plug wires are in order since there is one that's been changed maybe a fault from before? I will be sure to post back my findings.
X20XVE Engine
Steven715

Post by Steven715 »

Hi I just thought I would update on this ever since I took all the plug wires out and reseated them there has been no cutting out on startup. Hopefully a loose plug wire was the problem. I will update again if it happens.

Cheers
X20XVE Engine