Replace fuel pressure regulator problem

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Telegram Sam

Replace fuel pressure regulator problem

Post by Telegram Sam »

On my 90/91 SRi petrol H-reg 20SEH the "fuel pressure regulator" lives next to the fuel pump at the offside rear corner of the car. Exposed to the elements this has now corroded and sprung a leak so needs to be replaced. The local Vaux dealership were not able to identify the part no but came up with an equivalent part which they said was mounted on the fuel injection manifold of some models if I understood correctly: 90166629. However they could not supply this either. Someone else told me that there was a regulator on some other models that is located in the tank.

I am trying vaious sources to see if I can get hold of the original. Does anyone know the part no? If I cannot track one down can the pressure regulator system from say a later model be installed instead? For example from a '95 LSi?

Tks as usual
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Replace fuel pressure regulator problem

Post by James McGrath »

The fuel pressure regulator on the 20SEH is the same as the (C)20NE and is located by the intake manifold just under the ICV.

I replaced mine not too long ago.
All the info you need is here:
viewtopic.php?p=162312#p162312
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I have found the following page on Eclat 24 with quite a number of parts listed.

http://ecat24.com/opel/catalog/part/1/39/308/4282/9729/
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

You'll find that there are multiple part number for some parts. It's because Vauxhall whet to different manufacturers at different times and they gave a separate part number for each one.
Most of the time they are actually made to the same specification and are interchangeable.

This is the one that will fit your car:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Control-Valve ... Sw2xRYc2wq

However are you sure you need a new one?
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Tks |James - yours crossed with mine. Seems like you used Bosch part no 0 280 160 221 which as the man told me is mounted next to the fuel manifold and not below the fuel filler tube like on mine (a stupid position). >> Can I in effect "clone" your system? And where did you get your unit from? I am a little out of my depth in this! I think our emails are running in parallel ...
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

James McGrath wrote: However are you sure you need a new one?
If I witnessed (this morning) a little stream of petrol squirting out from next to the fuel pump whilst the car was on the ramp and even I could see that the bracket etc was corroded, then it didn't take much pressure to persuade me that it was a replacement rather than a chewing gum job. It would be an advance if the replacement could be mounted sensibly next to the manifold instead of directly in line with all the yuck from the road.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I've seen quite a few 20SEH engines from the earliest MK2 SRi 130s to later MK3 SRis and all of them had the fuel pressure regulator in the same place by the intake manifold.
The way a fuel pressure regulator works requires it to have a vacuum line coming off the intake manifold, so I highly doubt that the part that is leaking on your car is the fuel pressure regulator.

So don't buy one of those.

Do you have any photos of the part that's leaking? What does it look like?

Are you sure it wasn't the pump itself that was leaking or even the fuel filter?
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Tks for advice. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As said above, the pressure regulator is in the engine bay.

If you have an "out of tank" fuel pump fitted to the rear off side corner of the fuel tank, then the thing next along the fuel line should be a cylindrical metal fuel filter.
And these are available at any motor factors.

On in-tank cars there is just the cylindrical metal fuel filter located to the rear off-side corner of the fuel tank.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

All indicators to date are that it is either the pump or the out of tank filter, or both, that is defective. Hopefully daylight tomorrow will reveal all.
Should it come to it, can / could an in-tank filter be substituted for an out of tank one (with a view to reducing corrosion)?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You mean in-tank pump?

You would need a different tank with a big hole in the top through which the pump is mounted.

So the answer is - yes you can fit an in-tank pump as long as you fit the correct fuel tank.

As for fuel filter - they will still be fitted in the same place as your current one.
So no benefit in changing to a later set-up.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

My conclusion is that if it was a green field situation I'd locate the pump and/or filter in the tank well out of the way of road yuk, but that if they are where they are (exposed) then it's not worth the hassle of a re-design? Better to get some effective protection rather than the underseal that seems in my case to have been responsible for trapping a lot of the moisture and causing the corrosion. You'd think that some bright spark would have come up with a simple protective protective housing.