Hi guys EML light issue.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
bobthevoice

Hi guys EML light issue.

Post by bobthevoice »

Hi guys my car H reg 2 litre injection has thrown the EML light 3 times now in the last 2 wks.when this happens the engine won't rev more than just above tickover. after a short while the engine starts and will rev normally but i would rather find and fix the fault rather than rely on it clearing it's throat and starting and running normally.so if you can point me in the right direction as to the cause of the fault i would be grateful for your input. thanks a lot for reading.

Bobthevoice.
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Hi guys EML light issue.

Post by Robsey »

Hi Bob,

As you have an engine light showing,
If it stays on for more than 4 seconds, a fault log should be stored.

To verify the cause, you need to do the famous paper clip test.

Go to your diagnostic connector in the engine bay.

Disconnect the plug from it's socket.

Use a paper-clip or similar to short pins A and B together.

Now turn on the ignition.
Do NOT start the engine.

The engine light on the dash will flash out the fault codes.

Start of sequence is always 1-2.
Each code is repeated three times before moving onto the next.
When you see 1-2 again, you will have gone back to the start.

Just note down any two-digit codes and post here.
We can then interpret the code for you.

Or look in the How 2 section for fault code checking, as all the codes will be listed in the How 2.

(Please also confirm the engine code - C18NZ, C20NE, C20XE, X20XEV and so on).

Here is the How 2.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=630
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Thanks Robsey for your info.yesterday i bought a tin of carb cleaner stuff to be used to clean out the inlet manifold,egr valve etc. simple process that takes 10 mins.so i have driven the car over the last couple of days without any of the previous symptoms and the engine revs freely again with no EML showing.i also noticed that the petrol supply pipe from the tank to the pump looked like it was kind of collapsing internally and a quick fix was to apply a cable tie around the pipe tight enough to restore it's proper shape.so all in all given it is running correctly i will continue to monitor the situation and see how it goes......literally :) . i'll update soon.

Bob the Voice.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

From the initial post about being unable to rev above idle and your later comment about the collapsing fuel pipe.
This does sound like a fuel supply issue.

I sort of wonder though, why fuel starvation would put the engine light on...
Unless the mix was simply too lean for the lambda sensor to deal with.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

Just another thought about the petrol pipe i mentioned.about a year ago the original pipe from the pump to the tank sprung a leak and i renewed it.it was slightly narrower in it's gauge but it was all i could find at the time and was a bugger to fit but determination saved the day and i managed in the end.so day four now and the car is driving perfectly so maybe the cable tie has cured the problem by allowing the fuel to flow correctly. here's hoping.
Cheers Robsey.

Bob the voice