V6 new fuel pump trouble

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
GP123

V6 new fuel pump trouble

Post by GP123 »

Hi all.

Put a new fuel pump in the v6 today but i cant get it to start now. The old pump was running ok before taken out.

New pump makes sound when turning the key but wont fire batterys near dead.

Is there anything i could check/do?

Thanks.
Cavalier342

Re: V6 new fuel pump trouble

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not sure if you may have altered the pick-up pipe angle, is the tank full or near empty? I replaced one on my old 1.8 years ago, was a little fiddly, had to be careful to not bend things while re-fitting.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
GP123

Post by GP123 »

The new pumps a different brand an a little bit bigger. Would fitting a bit of rubber pipe on the end help pickup petrol? Also when i turn the ignition lights on the pump doesnt run its only when im turning the key that it runs.

If the rubber pipe going into top of pump is off it should be firing out petrol right? Maybe its doing nothing or picking it up even hmm.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

If you haven't thrown the old one away, I would put them next to each other and carefully look for any differences in pipe lengths or angles, if it's a different brand then who knows, it could have been made slightly differently. Also double check that you've fitted the outlet pipe (from pump to engine) correctly, I can't remember if the return line goes on there somewhere too or not.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am a total novice with the V6 set up.
Is it an in-tank or out-of-tank pump?

Thoughts are -
If out of tank pump...
is it fitted the correct way round?
Sucking from the tank rather than pumping towards the tank.

If it is an in-tank pump, is it the correct one.
There are at least two different pumps.
One for single point injection (1.6 and 1.8) and one for multi point engine (2.0 etc).
The single point pump has barely enough line pressure to allow a 2.0 litre to idle, never mind trying to run a V6.

As for firing up...
I am sure the fuel pump and injectors do not run until the engine cranks at a high enough rpm.
Silly comment time...
If it is a different make, is it wired up the same way round.
I have seen some sensors etc wired up wrong before now.

To test the pump, you could run a battery directly to the pump wires.
I did this after non-start issues when converting my car from C18NZ to C20NE.
In the end, it turned out that I had the wrong, under-powered pump.
GP123

Post by GP123 »

GP123

Post by GP123 »

I have provided a link above to a video on youtube. Thats the new pump connected up. The old pump does the exact same noise but doesnt sound as "new" or lively.

Please Note the pumps only make sound when i turn the key full/starting. Nothing happens when key is sitting on ignition lights? But assume it was always like this before old pump was taken out..i have a clifford alarm if that means anything. Also the car ran on the old pump since i bought it but i always felt something wasnt making her run right.

Or does it just take bloody forever to do a first start with a new pump?! :sick

This new pump cross references with bosch number 0 580 314 097. Which is linked with 2 litre engines and above..

The old pump bosch number is 0580453509 or replaced by newer bosch number 0580314154 which actually when searching is linked with 1.4s and 1.6s! And i cant seem to match it with any 2.5 litres at all.

Could it be the wrong pump was in her/replaced at a time?
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Sorted tonight! :).

When twisting and turning like a rubix cube right before putting the lid flat the negative wire kept catching and ripped off. So soldered the wires downwards and done the trick!

I would recommend not screwing the lid on with all the screws and putting rubber hose on until the electric plug is connected only first so you can hear when you turn the key for a second if you can hear the pump running or not because if not all has to be undone again!

Also the rubber petrol hose leading to engine can be very awkward and there is not much of it to play with so the more its put on and taken off they basically start falling apart due to age..

Anyways.. The new pump is a hell of alot of improvement. Its slightly bigger and im convinced that the pump i took out of the cav was not the right one for a 2.5 litre V6 engine. Instead the part number on the fuel pump i took out lead me to 1.4 and 1.6 engines found in novas, corsas etc. Good job i changed it.

Will report back tomorrow on first cold morning start up.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fingers crossed, keep us posted.
Previous:

GP123

Post by GP123 »

Cold start update!

Like night and day in difference starts straight away now. No 3 or 4 grinds and then running rough for 5 to 10 mins anymore. Runs as sweet as a nut.

I guess it goes to show your car may have parts on it which arent really for it and can under power it etc.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Strange one that, under-powered pump, first time I've heard of that. Anyway good to hear it's sorted now.
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I checked out the "old code" and it does appear to come back as the 0.76bar SPi fuel pump.

I am amazed the car ran at all.
My 2 litre 8 valve MPi would do nothing more than idle on the SPi fuel pump.

Parts from Bosch do seem a lot harder to find online - even the Bosch website it impossible to navigate.

Good to see it is all sorted now :thumb
GP123

Post by GP123 »

Yes mate i just knew something wasnt right either fueling or air. So done the right thing in refreshing important parts fuel wise. Done coilpack, spark plugs, leads, fuel filter and fuel pump.

I also have a new genuine GM fuel pump relay which i havent fitted yet.
Thanks again.