Installing Fuel lines

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
James McGrath
Club Admin

Installing Fuel lines

Post by James McGrath »

So I've been replacing quite a few fuel lines recently.

First, the big 11.5mm one on the CD auto went, then one on the underside of the V6 and recently one in the engine bay of Lizzie's CD.
I'm pretty sure this doesn't have anything to do with E10 petrol, as the first two of these happened before its introduction, but I think it's relevant as many of us will be thinking of replacing our lines for this reason.

The problem is, I've been having real difficulty getting the new 7.3mm hoses on.
Don't know if it's the type of hose I'm using but it just doesn't want to go on properly.
I can put the hose on the fuel line up to about half an inch but it won't go on any further than that.
On the V6, I had to resort to using 8mm hose as the bugger refused to go on.

The line I replaced on Lizzie's car yesterday took me about 40 minuets of faffing to get it on properly.

Has anyone else had this problem with 7.3mm hoses?
vexorg

Re: Installing Fuel lines

Post by vexorg »

7.3mm seems small, I thought all the solid pipes were 8mm, and the hoses have to go over that.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

7.3mm bore is correct for the stand 8mm fuel lines.

It needs to be a snug fit for obvious reasons.

I had no problems when I replaced the fuel hose between the pump, filter and the rigid pipe to the front of the car.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I'm smelling petrol when parked so it looks like i'll have to tackle this sooner than expected :roll:

Thinking about it, I don't really want to dunk fuel hose in a mug of boiling water to make it flexible so here's what i've come up with.

Wrap a reusable microwave hand warmer round the end of the hose and activate.
That should give around 2 inches pliable hose that won't air cool until you peel it off :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Usually the hose needs good clips or two clips to avoid coming off, not helped by the replacement pipe not hae the flared bump ends.
David
Greydj

Post by Greydj »

I've been using 8mm unflared microbore for it seems like forever and not had a problem yet using single decent petrol clips. Touch wood.

There is a 7.8mm I/D R9 hose which should fit easier.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Think it was 8mm plastic stuff I used and replaced the whole lines from front to back.