Cav 1.7TD blowing blue smoke out of exhaust.

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
blowfelt

Cav 1.7TD blowing blue smoke out of exhaust.

Post by blowfelt »

I started my Cav 1.7TD this morning and alot of blue smoke came out of the exhaust.I took it for a drive and everytime I pulled away from a junction there was a puff of blue smoke.

I had to drop someone off today 80 miles away and the Cav run fine without no blue smoke coming out of exhaust,but everytime I start car blue smoke comes out.Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Cav 1.7TD blowing blue smoke out of exhaust.

Post by Robsey »

Usual cause for this (at least on petrol engines) could be worn valve stem seals.

They tend to puff blue smoke when first started, but also when changing gear as the car's internal vacuum levels change back and forth rapidly.
Over-run and taking up drive again ...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Classic sign of valve stem oil seals, puff of blue smoke on start up, especially first thing, or when you gun it.
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

Is it a difficult job to fix the valve stem seals or will stop leaks fix it.

When starting the car first thing and and pressing the accelerator it blows out blue smoke,which gradually clears the blue smoke.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It is a cylinder head removal job.
Not too bad if you are comfortable at stripping an engine.

I have refurbed a few 8 valve petrol engines over the years, but never a diesel.
The procedure would be similar for doing the head gasket.
But
You then have the job of removing the valves from the head.
Once the valves are out, the stem seals are easy enough to remove and replace from the valve guides.

The important thing is having the correct tools and the correct workshop information to hand for guidance.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

There are methods of stem seals without removing the head, but I'd be propared for the head to come off as I've never been convinced they work.

It would depend if you can access the cylinder from the injector or not, as usually the other methods apply to petrol engines.
David
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

Will hve to get rid then.

Thanks guys.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

A nice afternoon job, head off, new seals, bit of a clean up, and back together again
David
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

Since I've had the issue with my Cav smoking I've always had one of the injector not working right.I've been told today by a guy (an old mechanic I know) that it could be the injector that is causing my Cav to smoke.He doesn't believe its the oil stem seals due car smoking alot whilst idling.

There is also an issue with my heater running hot and cold too,which I have mentioned in another post that I thought I'd fixed.The old mechanic also thinks it could be anyone of the 2 issues I've mentioned above,which could be the cause for the car smoking.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm - two different sets of symptoms linked?
Personally I am not so sure.

Regarding the injector - yes this could be sticking or getting lazy, causing it to close slowly and thus use too much diesel - and frees-up after running for some time.
If over fuelling, the smoke should be black.

Blue implies lubrication oil, and therefore rings, valve stem seals or general bottom-end engine wear.

If we are sure it is the injectors, then I would get them all checked, cleaned and refurbished.

Heater blowing hot and cold...
To me that is one of a few items, although the dash temperature gauge should also assist with this.
1 - Blockage in the matrix pipework, restricting the flow of hot coolant through the heater matrix. - this would not affect the gauge.

2 - Coolant pump - the impeller blades may be loose or damaged meaning that coolant is not flowing effectively.

3 - Insifficient coolant in the engine. If the fluid level is too low, from time to time air will pass through the matrix instead of coolant. I have had these exact symptoms due to a very low coolant level.

4 - I was going to say thermostat, however I am sure that these will fail once and stay failed, not intermittent as you imply. Usually the coolant will take an age to warm up, but once warm it should stay warm.
The only way I could see it go cold again, is on a long fast run (motorway run) where there is sufficient air flow to cool the coolant in the radiator and engine.
Especially on cold and frosty journeys.
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

Robsey,would the valve seals (if damaged) cause the car to blow blue smoke (alot of blue smoke) out when its ticking over.

The water pump was changed a few months ago.Could the water issues (heater changes between hot and cold) be the cause of blue smoke bc the old mechanic thinks could cause blue smoke too.

The Cav is due for MOT in March,but I might as well just scrap it if i can't fix the 2 issues.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

At tickover then it's more likely to be the turbo or rings.
David
blowfelt

Post by blowfelt »

The turbo is working fine,but could it still be the turbo.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If it is the rings, then I am sure the compressions would be down.

So, that would be my next check - compression readings across all four cylinders.
paul_34

Post by paul_34 »

Bit late on this one if you still have it.

How do you know you have a duff injector? If you have a glow plug down that will cause it to pump blue smoke until it has warmed up. Also don't forget your valve clearances. They can and will close right up even if it's just one cylinder, usually no1 at timing belt end. Check you only have one air filter in, the one on top of the engine. Have you changed the fuel filter? Remove the turbo outlet pipe, the one from the turbo/exhaust manifol to the airbox on top of the engine and see how much oil is in there. You can put your fingers in the turbo (engine off) and see if you can wiggle the turbine shaft about.

The rings usually last high mileage as long as it has been looked after with regular oil changes and it hasn't overheated. The heads are a pain to get off as I've found out a few times, headgasket is all steel and rarely fail.

If turbo and valve clearances are ok run some injector cleaner through it on the motorway