Oxygen circuit

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Cavalier342

Oxygen circuit

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hey all :wave
Had the EML light come on briefly a couple of times recently so i thought i'd check it out. The code came up as 44 - Oxygen curcuit voltage low (lean mix) Anybody familiar with this? I'm guessing if its lean and there's no fuel issues, then theres too much air being put in :scratch Anybody know what it could be? thanks in advance.
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
DiplomaXE

Re: Oxygen circuit

Post by DiplomaXE »

this happens to my xe most days, always at the same point on my commute when I'm backing off the gas, usually following line of slow boring twats down a hill, on the way to work.
I believe it to be the fuel over run cut off causing this as I can feel the fuel cutting off quite easily, then maybe 1/2 mile later at the bottom of the long hill the light comes on for say 5 secs, then goes out just after I boot it past all the losers - when I can see the road is clear up the hill the other side.
Have tried several different lambda sensors over the years and its not as bad when its got a new one in, but as everything else seems to be fine I dont worry about it.
Car pulls like a train, does 35-45 mpg and always has no problems at the MOT, my MOT man tests it as if its an earlier car, as he should, I'm told. - its a k plate so it should need the proper cat test, but as it has a different age engine, it still just passes the cat test % wise, even though its de-catted. amazing really, shows that there cant be too much wrong.
Maybe try a new lambda sensor in yours if you are worried about it, the different additives in the fuels can kill them. Had some octane booster in mine for the rolling road that killed a sensor a few years ago.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Thanks a lot for that detailed explanation my friend :D As i said, it's only came on twice briefly, 3-4 seconds then stayed off, about a minute after i gently drove down the road. I've got my MOT coming up next month so i'll keep an eye on it, but to me it runs like normal. The exhaust fumes are just as normal, a lovely perfumy smell :D I think its just one of those little intermittent things that eventually goes away. Anyways thanks a lot, thats really helpful mate :wave
Andrei.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
carlos_canter

Post by carlos_canter »

Could be a flash in the pan, but for what its worth, either remove and clean the lambda sensor, or replace it.
Should be about £12 - £15.

I had the same thing on my Nova after throwing an engine in, but the light was on most of the time, turns out it was running lean due to a leaking inlet manifold gasket, and eventually the whistling noise appeared.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

If it's running lean, generally air related.

Have you changed anything on the air intake side recently? filter? ducting?

Make sure all the bolts are nipped up on the inlet since you've had the gasket changed recently too :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

ye thanks guys. I'll check it over later on when it warms up outside :lol: I havent really done any mods to the aspiration system at all, so it should all be working as per standard. :wave
Previous:

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I think i found how to solve that error code 44. The thin red hose that runs from the airbox (tucked right under the wing) to the air distributor top hat, that hose was loose at the airbox. Its real fiddly to get it hooked on, but when i had the manifold gasket replaced, the airbox had to be taken out and put back in. I've reconnected it the other evening and since then, the EML has not come on. So in case other members have this same issue, here's a tip :)
Previous: