Fuel pump?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
Cavalier342

Fuel pump?

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum section but i suspect there's a problem with my fuel pump.
Anywho, I've noticed it pretty much since i bought the car, which is nearly 2 years ago, but i never thought much of it. Just in case though, i figured i'd ask.
Basically, when i start her up from cold or after leaving it parked for a while, hour or so, after the engine starts, from the back i can hear this sound, like water being sucked through a kitchen sink plughole, like a gurgling sound. The other day i was curious and stuck my head under the back to listen where its coming from. It sounds like its coming from the back of the fuel tank, where the pump is, a smallish cylinder shape canister with pipes attatched at either end. Is that the actual pump itself? and does the sound indicate a problem or is it normal? i only ask because none of my other cars made that sound :? thanks in advance.
Andrei :wave
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
carlos_canter

Re: Fuel pump?

Post by carlos_canter »

Its normal to hear it, when the ignition is switched on and on some cars, it kicks in when the door is opened, all it is doing is priming the system.

Im presuming what your seeing has some wires going to it aswell? if not chances are thats the filter.

Im not actually sure if the pumps on cavaliers are in or out of the tank, i havent even looked at mine yet.

As for the gurgling, it is a normal noise on older vehicles, more so if it is low on fuel in the tank.

If the car doesnt start and you cant hear the pump buzzing, then thats a good indicator that the pump is goosed, but remember - IT DOESNT KICK IN EVERY TIME THE IGNITION IS TURNED ON - if you turn it on and off 3 or 4 times, the pump will only kick in once.
"Redefining success since 1981"
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Sounds like the fuel filter lad, might be worth changing it anyhow since you've had it a couple of years and it's not likely to have been done - just watch your eyes when you come to remove it as theres a fair bit of pressure running through that.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

oh right, thanks guys. I'll have to get a new filter at some point then.
On the cavaliers, carlos, i'm pretty sure there are both types of pumps, in/out, it depends on the engine i think.
Anyways cheers :wave
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Cavalier342 wrote:oh right, thanks guys. I'll have to get a new filter at some point then.
On the cavaliers, carlos, i'm pretty sure there are both types of pumps, in/out, it depends on the engine i think.
Anyways cheers :wave
2litre SRI pre facelift and Turbo's have external from memory.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index