EGR Valve Blanking what doe's it do?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
GsiCav2000

Post by GsiCav2000 »

Gaz

Re: EGR Valve Blanking what doe's it do?

Post by Gaz »

it blanks the egr valve off?

if your egr valve isnt broke i wouldn't bother.
Mort

Post by Mort »

Prevents exhaust gasses from being recirculated into the engine, which is done in the first place so that the exhaust gasses are cleaner. When my wifes S-reg Astra's EGR valve started playing up I blanked that off (with a home made gasket from a drinks can), and since then there have been no problems. The car has passed an MOT including emissions check, and is even a tiny bit more torquey under medium revs (enough so that the wife noticed, but not enough so that I have bothered doing it with the Cav). Downside on the Astra is that the EML light now comes on when the engine tries to use the EGR valve.

As Gaz has said, if there is nothing wrong with it, I would leave it alone. If it is broken, it seems to be a lot cheaper to blank it off than to replace it.
1995 Vauxhall Cavalier mk3 LS 2.0i 16v Automatic
1998 Vauxhall Astra mk4 CD 1.6i 16v
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

On the early SPi engines, its a crude system that hampers performance IMO. Blank it off, just remember to blank off the vaccum pipe that comes off it.

16v engines are a completely different animal though, you have to leave it plugged in or the EML will flag up and it will hamper performance there too from what I remember.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
perserver

Post by perserver »

Envoy when you say blank it off do you meen remove it completely and just block the pipe?