emmisions fail

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
old_skool

emmisions fail

Post by old_skool »

took the sri for a mot on the weekend and it fail on rear bearing and emissions i have today removed my knuckles trying to sort the problems and after fitting a cat and the rear bearings today took it for a retest and the emissions are still sky high

co 4.30 max is meant to be .30 so something must be wrong anybody have a clue what it most probably is as i'm no without my car and have 22 mile round trip to and from work

any help would be appreciated
93 16v SRI hatchback (C20XE)
damien roe

Re: emmisions fail

Post by damien roe »

I HAD this problem it was my lambda sensor and a new air filter :thumb
old_skool

Post by old_skool »

good i thought it might be as i have had an engine management light on since i have owned the car 2 faults the crack sensor and the lambda but i didn't want to post that so i didn't get the typical forum reply "Try that first" i was hoping for someone to say lambda before i spend out the beer tokens on a new one

cheers chap
Bull

Post by Bull »

[quote="old_skool"]good i thought it might be as i have had an engine management light on since i have owned the car 2 faults the crack sensor and the lambda but i didn't want to post that so i didn't get the typical forum reply "Try that first" i was hoping for someone to say lambda before i spend out the beer tokens on a new one

cheers chap[/quote]

Try scrappies any petrol vauxhall wud have a lambda sensor And if ya take ya old 1 wiv ya to compare, can prob get it cheapish so,
I know my partners father used an omega lambda sensor in his cav so
Vehicles I Run
94 Cavalier LS 1.7TD own since 11/09 Also: 95 Yamaha XJ6S Diversion

Previously owned
93 Astra LS 1.4 04/06-06/09, 90 Fiat Tipo 1.4 (Feb-Nov 05),89 Nissan Micra 1.0 LS (04-05), 92 Seat Ibiza 1.2 (03-04)
old_skool

Post by old_skool »

Well i ended up parting with more beer tokens and got a new lambda put for another test and it passed 0.18 co at 2550 and 0.14 co at idle hc was something like 195 and lambda 1.0098
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Result then. When I put my Cav for its MOT, to put it back on the road last year. The emmisions were high. The garage took the car for a 'hard drive' to clean the lambda. Doing that it then passed the emissions. Thay said it was because the car had sat so long with out getting used for nothing more than a few mins at a time. Or it could have all been B.S. and an excuse to take my car out for a spin. :?

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
old_skool

Post by old_skool »

na mate a HOT car is more likey to pass emissions not anything to doing with how long its been sat i know and trust the guy that done my mot (has a mk11 cav with 20xe ;) and an astra gsi ) he said because the redtop engines take a lifetime to get HOT there a swine for emission tests