Isuzu 1.7td Cavalier 1995...Loss of Power ?Fueling problem?

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
oilburner85

Isuzu 1.7td Cavalier 1995...Loss of Power ?Fueling problem?

Post by oilburner85 »

Maybe long winded but I am at a loss and it's hard to describe without going into detail.

PLEASE PERSEVERE

A week last saturday on way back from a day trip out engine lost all power... limped her home and on sunday morning she was dead as a Dodo. Could turn her over but no fuel past the pump . Managed to pick one up from E-bay for a mere £30 a bargain in comparisions to the £2200 + VAT quotes from Vauxhall . Fitted it last week all timed up correct with help from auto data.

After 2 days and a head full of hair later i eventually managed to get her started however she's still not right and runs like a bag of nails at times

Spent over a week now adjusting things here and there but to no avail so hopefully if i describe what she's doing someone can point me in the right direction

1) Starts from cold 1st time and idles fine
2) When warm runs fine on idle
3) Drive her steady below 2500rpm and she's fine, boosts well and pulls like a train
4) Go above 3000rpm and she looses all power, and starts to miss fire (boost guage dropps to less than 10 psi then then she jerks and tries to go but appears to be held back in some way.) only way to stop her miss firing is to either change gear of let off and let the rpm redure to below 3000rpm (loss of power similar to intercooler pipe coming off however when checked all intact)
5) When revs held steady whilst stationary anywhere above 3000rpm she will miss fires, chucks blue smoke out and revs will not go above the point where she has started to miss fire
6) Drive very steady for around 1 minute and she pulls right the way through the rev range (only in 1st and 2nd)

Keep being pointed back to checking the cam belt timing however double checked today and this is spot on.

PLEASE HELP any advise greatly recieved!!
Squig

Re: Isuzu 1.7td Cavalier 1995...Loss of Power ?Fueling problem?

Post by Squig »

possible spit boost pipe holding pressure until you on full boost?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
oilburner85

Re: Isuzu 1.7td Cavalier 1995...Loss of Power ?Fueling problem?

Post by oilburner85 »

sorry taken so long to reply internet been playing up. got the cav sorted in the end found out it was sending to much fuel back to the tank so me being me have blocked of the return and she runs sweet as a nut. many thanks for advice mate :thumb