Engine management light

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's fuel system (including ECUs) and exhaust here
steven240374

Engine management light

Post by steven240374 »

Hello again i have a 1.8 ls n reg just recently i was driving and the engine management light came on but it drove better when the light was on than it did before after a couple of minutes the light went off what could this be thanks in advance
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Engine management light

Post by Robsey »

You will need to do the famous paperclip test and then report back your findings.

There is a thread on here that tells you how to do this, or alternatively you could try the old Top-Buzz site...where I originally learnt all my technical stuff from...long before joining any forums...

The link for Top Buzz is...

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_cod ... _codes.htm

by the way...your engine should be the Multec CFi (C18NZ), if that helps.
Cavalier342

Re: Engine management light

Post by Cavalier342 »

Usually its some sensor playing up, as the EML is generally there to display electronic faults, voltage/oxygen circuit/etc. If the light was on for a couple of mins, its probably nothing to worry about, but it would have certainly stored a fault code, so as said above, the paperclip test will show it up.
Andrei. :wave
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...