Windows 10

Chit-chat about all of the above. Extra forum points for references to 'Horace Goes Skiing'!

Moderator: James McGrath

humbucker
Club Admin

Windows 10

Post by humbucker »

I have just taken advantage of the 'free OS' offer from Microsoft and upgraded my licensed copy of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. Windows 7 has been excellent. It's so solid and a real game changer in the Mac vs PC 'platform stability' wars. I was reluctant to switch from W7 (if it ain't broke...), primarily due to fear regarding platform compatibility with peripheral devices (soundcard, guitar equipment etc.), but after checking driver availability, I think all should be okay.

Anyone else made the upgrade? What are your experiences of W10 so far?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Windows 10

Post by James McGrath »

I upgraded one of my PC's last year.
The only reason I did it was the exclusivity of DirectX 12 and the performance advantages that it was promising.

So far I've found it a bit of a disappointment. The only game I've played with DirectX 12 is Rise of the tomb raider and that offered no noticeable performance advantage.

Apart from that I've found it to be of similar stability to windows 7 with faster boot times and faster load times in general.

However, I do still prefer Windows 7 on an everyday basis. Well to be fair I like Windows XP the most for everyday stuff just because of the familiarity I have with that OS.

In the 7 vs 10 debate however, it's not just a case of being more familiar with windows 7. Windows 10 is deliberately harder to tinker with and had far fewer options for the advanced user. I don't like the way windows update works on Windows 10 as it allows the user virtually no control over what updates they receive. Frequently I have had problems with Windows 10 trying to install drivers for devices that weren't even there anymore. At which point I would get an annoying message saying that "Windows could not install updates". There is absolutely nothing I can do about this as there are no options to cancel the update.

Privacy is also an issue. There is the option to turn off allot of the intrusive data sharing that Windows 10 will do by default However, most users will not turn this off and be totally unaware that their activity is being monitored. Frankly It's a breach of human rights and it's simply wrong of Microsoft to do this. But hey, it's the modern world and google is far worse anyway.

I have encountered a few compatibility issues with older games. The CD version of GTA Vice City for example does not work for me along with a few other classics.

I never really liked the Windows 10 default start menu so I have resorted to using a mod which allows me to use the windows classic style menu form the windows 9X days, there are others available if you prefer to use the XP or 7 style menus however.

Anyway, in conclusion it's not a bad OS for the everyday user. However it just falls short of being a great OS like Windows XP and 7 were. It lacks the advanced options that power users crave and has dubious privacy policies. If it wasn't for DirectX 12 only being available on Windows 10 I personally wouldn't have bothered with the upgrade.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am just about to move into the world of Win 10.
I am not sure if I am making the right move. As James said - the driver updates can often stop devices working properly or even not at all.

I am an XP person, as nearly all software and databases that I use work best on XP.
But nothing internet wise supports XP any more.

I use Win 7 Enterprise at work and it works pretty well - until the NHS installed all it's security software. Now the computers take 20 minutes to boot up and refuse to shut down.

As you may know, I am not a gamer. I am a practical minded person. So only use databases, EPC, TIS, Autodata and diagnostic programs...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I've been playing with Windows 10 today, and I'm impressed. As mentioned in this thread (and elsewhere online) the default settings during installation are a 'breach of personal data' nightmare. I found myself turning off all but one of the box-fresh preferences.

I already had Windows 10 installed on the laptop I was sent by Sky for turning to the Dark Side, but I'm more comfortable with a desktop PC, so it has been good to use and stress test the operating system in a familiar environment running the programs and hardware that I have had trouble with when upgrading OSs in the past.

Everything seems to be hunky dory, so much so that I've also upgraded Sharon's laptop to Windows 10 too. Besides, users can revert back to Windows 7 within a month of making the switch if they're not happy.

Like Rob, I'm not a gamer (my piss poor broadband speeds wouldn't allow for that kind of thing anyway), but my job sees me use a lot of audio, video and graphics software and hardware, none of which I can afford to be without. Thankfully, everything is working as it should. No driver updates have been required.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You've a long way to get broadband as slow as mine... 0.12Mb/sec.
On unlimited broadband.

Just installed VM ware so that I can run XP stuff on my Win10 lappy.

Many thanks to Gary (EnvoyCDX) who built the thing up for me.... I suddenly realised that I was very poor with my computer skills when he was here.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I have just discovered that Windows Media Centre is missing from Windows 10, meaning that DVDs no longer play natively. This is ridiculous. Downloading Media Player Classic Home Cinema (for free) from CNET enables DVD playback - there may be a more elegant solution - else trying to launch a DVD takes you to Microsoft's online store where you are prompted to shell out for a new DVD 'app'. Sod that. I've got a licensed copy of Adobe's Creative Cloud, so not too much of a problem, but an inconvenience nonetheless.
Telegram Sam

Re: Windows 7 > 10

Post by Telegram Sam »

I think I'm with most of James' comments on Saturday except that I have not been motivated to make the jump, essentially on an "if it ain't broke.." basis. I still use XP at work relying on the company's professional security measures for protection, and I suppose time will come when they tell us that W7 (that I use at home) is not secure. On the other hand any switch has knock-on effects and time and hassle until things are more or less back to normal (with the exception of programs that have to be sacrificed as being incompatible)
What I do know is from subscribing to 2 consumer IT magazines each of which run features on all the various hidden "fixes" that one "must" do after installing W10 to make it behave itself.
Is it worth it for a few extra gizmos? I remain to be convinced. Them what run around in antiquated Cavaliers are unlikely to feature as a species as IT trend setters.
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Windows 7 > 10

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:Them what run around in antiquated Cavaliers are unlikely to feature as a species as IT trend setters.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:I have just discovered that Windows Media Centre is missing from Windows 10

Yes, that's another gripe I have. Ok it's free to upgrade to windows 10 but when you do you actually loose some programs that you had before.

Also all of the classic windows games like Minesweeper, solitaire, chess etc. have been removed along with the desktop gadgets.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

humbucker wrote:I have just discovered that Windows Media Centre is missing from Windows 10, meaning that DVDs no longer play natively. This is ridiculous. Downloading Media Player Classic Home Cinema (for free) from CNET enables DVD playback - there may be a more elegant solution - else trying to launch a DVD takes you to Microsoft's online store where you are prompted to shell out for a new DVD 'app'. Sod that. I've got a licensed copy of Adobe's Creative Cloud, so not too much of a problem, but an inconvenience nonetheless.
Pretty sure they introduced that back in Windows 8 - mainly due to licensing of the DVD Codecs (I'd have to read up on it).

Anyhoooo, MPC is so much better than MediaPlayer in so many ways.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:I think I'm with most of James' comments on Saturday except that I have not been motivated to make the jump, essentially on an "if it ain't broke.." basis. I still use XP at work relying on the company's professional security measures for protection, and I suppose time will come when they tell us that W7 (that I use at home) is not secure. On the other hand any switch has knock-on effects and time and hassle until things are more or less back to normal (with the exception of programs that have to be sacrificed as being incompatible)
What I do know is from subscribing to 2 consumer IT magazines each of which run features on all the various hidden "fixes" that one "must" do after installing W10 to make it behave itself.
Is it worth it for a few extra gizmos? I remain to be convinced. Them what run around in antiquated Cavaliers are unlikely to feature as a species as IT trend setters.
Been using 10 for well over a year now, tis golden syrup :) Gotta love it.
Robsey wrote:You've a long way to get broadband as slow as mine... 0.12Mb/sec.
On unlimited broadband.

Just installed VM ware so that I can run XP stuff on my Win10 lappy.

Many thanks to Gary (EnvoyCDX) who built the thing up for me.... I suddenly realised that I was very poor with my computer skills when he was here.
Bah, I do computer stuff all day every day.. it'll come with time Rob.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I have to say, my overall experience with Windows 10 leads me to conclude that it is better than Windows 7 in many ways. Interesting to see that the platform's context menus are sharp, right-angled affairs not too dissimilar from those found on Windows 95 et al.

So far, so good...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I like your confidence in my ability at my age, Gary.

I am pretty good at learning new stuff, so hopefully it will all be fine.
Just a matter of migrating a lot of my XP stuff to run on 10.....

And halting any unwanted driver updates, such as FTDI 2.12 etc...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Robsey wrote:I like your confidence in my ability at my age, Gary.

I had problems going from XP to Windows 7, although no such difficulty going from W7 to W10 (other than those outlined in this thread). The main issue was simply the length of time that had elapsed between XP and W7, causing much of my hardware (scanners etc.) to not run on the later OS due to a lack of manufacturer drivers (they had superseded the products I was using with more up-to-date, feature-rich kit). That said, you can run an XP emulator/virtual machine to get around that particular issue.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

For the uninitiated does VM = Virtual Machine = XP Emulator and where can you get this and is installing it a job for the average bloke (or a Gary job)?
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Telegram Sam wrote:For the uninitiated does VM = Virtual Machine = XP Emulator and where can you get this and is installing it a job for the average bloke (or a Gary job)?
Depends on if you can install an operating system really Iain, if you can it really isn't that difficult.
Robsey wrote:I like your confidence in my ability at my age, Gary.

Do that in the XP VM Rob :) As for ability.. saying nothing :) P2V of your exisiting laptop shouldn't be too difficult to facilitate :)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Depends on if you can install an operating system really Iain, if you can it really isn't that difficult.
That's my answer. Not a job for me. IT things have a habit of going pear-shaped and an OS in the shape of a fruit is something I can do without.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Eh-up!!

P2V?

There we go - lost me already. Ha ha

Oh yeah - Physical to Virtual converter... :ugeek:

I sussed out why the Autodata wouldn't work either..
Partly my confusion between x64 and x86 and also a possible missing x86 Uid file.

Third attempt for me tonight - lol.

Then I just need to find my 80's style video camera bag with all my software CDs and DVDs in.

I have installed VM Ware before - on my XP Tower computer. It was the only way I could get ElsaWin (VW version of TIS) to run. A bit novel having an XP machine running a virtual XP machine.

It was very straightforward.
Autodata and EPC on the otherhand.
hmm - brain-hurt time me thinks.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Usually just stick with old OS until newer ones have been all ironed out and beta tested by everyone else! I only went to W7 from XP less than 5 years ago. W7 is about as far as I want to go now, heard mixed things about W10 and a bit sus that they keep pestering me to upgrade, no I don't really want any more problems TYVM Mr Gates!

Actually talking of Mr. Gates thought this was quite funny, but true in a sense:

t a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: if GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

1. For no reason whatsoever your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they painted the lines on the road you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to re-install the engine.

4. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads.

5. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

6. Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key, and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

7. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Rand McNally road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need them nor want them. Attempting to delete this option would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Dept.

8. Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

9. You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I had a good laugh at that. Reminds me of trying to drive a Nissan Qashqai recently.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Brilliant!