My 56k 1.8 cavalier L. Phase 1 model.

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: My 56k 1.8 cavalier L. Phase 1 model.

Post by 3cav3 »

The inner arches came off eBay, and to be honest there was nothing wrong with the supplier at all,they were very helpful. And they are the deep versions.
I'll try and dig out the suppliers details for the sills, arches etc. It was a firm that I found through Google. I don't have a very organised filling system to be honest.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Ok, just I'm after a set of inner wheel arches myself.
There doesn't seem to be that may suppliers for them.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just had a look on my ebay history, there appears to be non left.But maybe worth contacting them to see if they have anymore coming in?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CAVA ... 2749.l2649
Al is not lost though, with my Subaru when I couldn't get any inner arches I bought some off a different car that had a similar shape- mk 2 golf I think from memory and adapted these to fit.
A lad I know who repairs quite a few cars claims he allways buys two pairs of outer arches and makes them fit, I.e uses the one as an inner arch. I don't know what the finished article is like.

I'd love to say I could let you have these, unfortunately this car will need some work in the arches fairly soon, so I will have to hang on to them, I'm afraid.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

That does look very tidy and more importantly original! I miss my old 89 L with the same engine, mine had a manual choke conversion, loved that feature. Good to see these early models still coming to the club, they will only get more and more rare and valuable as time goes.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Cavalier342 wrote:That does look very tidy and more importantly original! I miss my old 89 L with the same engine, mine had a manual choke conversion, loved that feature. Good to see these early models still coming to the club, they will only get more and more rare and valuable as time goes.
Totally agree with you on the manual choke, they are the best invention ever! My second cav had a lot of trouble with the auto choke, but luckily these were the days of every scrapyard in Britain having a few cavaliers in to raid bits off.
These L's are getting very rare, depending on how you read howmanyleft there's less than 200 left on our roads and probably more like 170ish of these standard type L's remaining, wether or not they will become valuable is another matter?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Anything that's rare, original and in good solid condition will always have good value in my opinion.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

One thing ive noticed with Cavaliers is that the seats, particularly the rears are very prone to fading in the sunlight, infact my second one ended up going nearly pink. In order to combat this I have purchased a cheap set of seat covers.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I had that issue on my old 89 model with blue interior, the top of the rear bench was pink-ish while the rest of the fabric was blue. Maybe a regular clean will prevent the problem from happening, maybe with a brush and some mild fabric cleaner, the trouble with seat covers is they look naff in classic cars, too out of place if you know what I mean.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Cavalier342 wrote:I had that issue on my old 89 model with blue interior, the top of the rear bench was pink-ish while the rest of the fabric was blue. Maybe a regular clean will prevent the problem from happening, maybe with a brush and some mild fabric cleaner, the trouble with seat covers is they look naff in classic cars, too out of place if you know what I mean.
Yes I know what you mean, but until I can have a garage, I will have to protect them the best I can. The covers will come off for shows, and back on again for day to day use. Should also protect them from my grubby 5 year old.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

New genuine wing has now arrived
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Are you spraying it up yourself or sending it off?
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Cavalier342 wrote:Are you spraying it up yourself or sending it off?
At the present the wing on the car is very reasonable, however the long term plan is to spray both sides of the car (eventually I can see it needing arches , sills, and wings.)
I have sprayed a few vehicles in the past, as this is a flat colour im tempted to do it myself, unfortunately ive found out since that im allergic to paint thinners, so I will probably get a body shop to do it. I could dress up in the spray suit and air fed mask, however with the amount of pain it causes I probably wont.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

One of the things that failed almost straight away( I'm guessing due to lack of use) was the sunroof. It seems to of gone out of line, in that the rear drivers side corner got wedged under the metal roof when attempting to close.
As there was rain forecast me and a mate had to almost force it the last bit. Does anybody on here have any understanding of the mechanism? Is it cable operated or gear driven? Is there a lot of work in dropping the head lining down?
Many thanks if you can help.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not sure on the specifics but it's operated via a cog which is turned by the handle crank. So I'm guessing geared. It runs along plastic sliders I think, it may just need greasing up and being worked from stop to stop a few times..
Previous:

cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote:One of the things that failed almost straight away( I'm guessing due to lack of use) was the sunroof. It seems to of gone out of line, in that the rear drivers side corner got wedged under the metal roof when attempting to close.
As there was rain forecast me and a mate had to almost force it the last bit. Does anybody on here have any understanding of the mechanism? Is it cable operated or gear driven? Is there a lot of work in dropping the head lining down?
Many thanks if you can help.
Does yours jam at the N/S back when you try and slide it back? I've never got round to working out what is causing it to jam tbh. I thought it was seized or something but it is hitting something and stopping.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

No, it went back fine. Worked properly the first couple of times, now it's like it's drop in the o/s corner. Scratched the black paint off the corner. Literally had to be closed with brute force as a hole in the roof wasn't good with rain on the way, lol.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote:No, it went back fine. Worked properly the first couple of times, now it's like it's drop in the o/s corner. Scratched the black paint off the corner. Literally had to be closed with brute force as a hole in the roof wasn't good with rain on the way, lol.
Meant to say, I've got a set of door trims with the wood insert from my old cavy 2.0 Li that had that same colour of interior as yours. They also have the winder holes as mine didn't have front electric windows.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

cavalier 1990. do you still have those door trims with the wood inserts? if 3cav3 doesn't want them would you give me a price for them?.

Bob
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Hi I've just found both these messages. Feel free Bob to do a deal as part of this cars appeal to me is being nearly base. I like the retroness to be honest.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:cavalier 1990. do you still have those door trims with the wood inserts? if 3cav3 doesn't want them would you give me a price for them?.

Bob
Yip, will just need to pull them out of storage and dust them off. They are at my folks house so hopefully down that way in the next week.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

cavalier1990 thanks that's great just let me know when you have them and what price you need. as you know i'm close to Paisley so i can pop over for them.

cheers

Bob
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

bobthevoice wrote:cavalier1990 thanks that's great just let me know when you have them and what price you need. as you know i'm close to Paisley so i can pop over for them.

cheers

Bob
Ok, just to let you know I might be another week or so till I get down to my folks but will keep you posted.
bobthevoice

Post by bobthevoice »

cavalier1990....That's great thanks again.

Bob
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

They say it's funny how life turns out, but a house has unexpecdadly come up for sale. If my offer is accepted then it's with heavy heart that I will have to place this car up for sale due to not enough parking spaces and I'll be stretching myself to far to rent a garage. If my offer isn't accepted however I would rather keep this car. What I'm trying to say is that if any forum member might be interested in this very early mk3 then drop me a pm and I'll let you know if it becomes for sale.
In respect to the ongoing trouble with the sale of my Volvo I am going to spell out very clearly that there's no warranty with it , however provided you e got insurance cover then you're welcome to test drive it all day if neccasary as I've nothing to hide. To me it would be more important that it goes to a good home rather than getting a high price.
GLC

Post by GLC »

Seam's a shame if you have to sell it, hopefully it will find a good home as L spec Cavs used to be everywhere as a kid then they all disappeared.

All the best with the house offer though. :)