Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

Had a spare moment today, so wire brushed and painted in original black the strut caps.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Today the new track rod ends turned up so I was able to get the arms fully refurbished. I have managed to free everything off(Boy, the N/s didnt half take some effort to get to move!) When I used to run Cavaliers as everyday cars adjusting the tracking was always a nightmare. The one I never did manage to move and used to have to live with it chewing up its front tyres.

All repainted and copperslipped.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Also to turn up today was a pair of front bumpstops.

This meant I was able to rebuild my front shocks. Here they are just awaiting a bit of a touch up.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That looks so familiar to my Cavalier in July 2016, being assembled ready for paint - lol.

It is getting much closer. :thumb

Don't forget to fit the dust shields first, before pressing in the stub axles.
Otherwise you need to get out the tin-snips to cut a piece out, to get the shields on.
I have been caught out twice - once on Cav mk2, and again in 2016 on the Cav mk3. Although in my defence, I had the wrong size shields anyway in 2016. :roll:
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I had one of those mornings when almost nothing seemed to go right!

Firstly I thought i'd strip the remains of the old struts down so I could salvage the hubs and the backing plates. This is when the problems started, after the discs and calipers coming off reasonably ok, on the first hub that I removed the bearing colapsed, taking nearly 40 tonnes of downwards load on the press to get it off. In the process of which it left the centre firmly on the hub. I'm now going to have carefully split it off with the grinder.

Next I just had a feeling that i'd better check the hubs actually fitted into the new bearings. Despite being assured that there is only two sizes, now the hubs are out i can actually confirm that theres 3 sizes. My van must be on the cusp of a change over as it apparently uses early mk3 wheel bearings. Oh the joys of playing with Old vehicles. Yet more money that I dont have needing to be spent.

When it came to removing the brake backing plates to clean and paint them, it turns out suprise, suprise with this van that they are too rotten to remove in one piece, also when trying to remove the retaining screws all I did was to just brake the end in the impact screwdriver!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Next I thought I would change the wishbones. I found years ago its usually around the same price to by a complete assembly than buying all the components seperatley, plus it can save hours of work.
Nearly two hours later I had to admit defeat and cut through the retaining bolt on the Nearside, the Offside one was impossible to get to with the legs of the hoist in the way.

The rubber had collapsed around the bolt, it may aswell welded it into position. Unfortunatley the bolts are an unusual size so will have to be ordered up. Yet more expense, Grr!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The third job was to remove the anti roll bar to allow the mounts to be changed, and to repaint it. With hindsight I should of done this before I refitted the engine, I dont really feel like remove the lump again so will have to try and rub the bar down in situ and repaint it that way.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

We all have those days.
All you can do is go home, have a hot brew, a piece of cake... and lick your wounds.

Go back in a few days, more refreshed and hopefully luck will be on your side.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

At this point I was feeling pretty peed off so thought Id continue with more simple jobs. Fitting new brake pads to the refurbished calipers turned out to be pretty simple, I'm sure partially down to the new fitting kit that i found out in my store.

Checking the new brake discs that Ive had for years, I'm pleased to say that they appear to fit. The discs that came off look almost new in terms of thicknes and lack of a lip, just are now very rusty after being parked up for so long. I'm guessing they were replaced not long before I purchased the Van. If this was a run of the mill vehicle, I'd be tempted to simply run them until the pads cleaned the rust off, but I'm in this far with the project so only new will do.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After an absolute nightmare with the stretchy cv gaitor last weekend, I was expecting a fight on my hands with the replacements today. All I can say this new air tool is almost worth its weight in gold! Took only seconds to get the gaitor in position. An absolute godsend for my rehumatism fingers!

If id of known how easy it makes it, compared to the cone, I'd of bought one years ago!

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:44 am That looks so familiar to my Cavalier in July 2016, being assembled ready for paint - lol.

It is getting much closer. :thumb

Don't forget to fit the dust shields first, before pressing in the stub axles.
Otherwise you need to get out the tin-snips to cut a piece out, to get the shields on.
I have been caught out twice - once on Cav mk2, and again in 2016 on the Cav mk3. Although in my defence, I had the wrong size shields anyway in 2016. :roll:
Thanks for the warning, having worked on them this morning I can see how easy it would be to leave them off accidentally.

I'm pleased to note I'm not the only one blacking the inner arches. I didn't like the finish on mine but I have since found out some rattle cans of waxoyl and am much happier now after spraying a few coats on top of the brush finish.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:28 pm I had one of those mornings when almost nothing seemed to go right!

Firstly I thought i'd strip the remains of the old struts down so I could salvage the hubs and the backing plates. This is when the problems started, after the discs and calipers coming off reasonably ok, on the first hub that I removed the bearing colapsed, taking nearly 40 tonnes of downwards load on the press to get it off. In the process of which it left the centre firmly on the hub. I'm now going to have carefully split it off with the grinder.

Next I just had a feeling that i'd better check the hubs actually fitted into the new bearings. Despite being assured that there is only two sizes, now the hubs are out i can actually confirm that theres 3 sizes. My van must be on the cusp of a change over as it apparently uses early mk3 wheel bearings. Oh the joys of playing with Old vehicles. Yet more money that I dont have needing to be spent.

When it came to removing the brake backing plates to clean and paint them, it turns out suprise, suprise with this van that they are too rotten to remove in one piece, also when trying to remove the retaining screws all I did was to just brake the end in the impact screwdriver!
This always happens when you try removing hub spline, the front of the bearing, and seal, comes out with the spline, ok if you are replacing bearing but if not then you're not going to get that bearing runner off without damage! I always wondered if there was a special tool to stop that coming off, but I'd imagine there wasn't. Probably the thinking was that it would only ever be coming off for bearing replacement anyway. In saying all that, by some stroke of luck I got the spline off on my diplomat, first time I've ever had it come striaight off without damage!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

All four wheel bearings on this van were badly shot, i didn't even try and remove the rears as I was replacing the beam anyway. I'm fairly lucky just to get away with one collapsing on me. Hopefully the end of the mechanical work is now in sight. By the time I'm done there will be very little left to change on the van.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am not surprised about the bearings...

From day one, the story was about a van that had not seen proper TLC for a long time,
and the fact that at least a few of the last of it's MOTs were bent.

A real horror story....
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:07 pm I am not surprised about the bearings...

From day one, the story was about a van that had not seen proper TLC for a long time,
and the fact that at least a few of the last of it's MOTs were bent.

A real horror story....
I do have my suspicions about how strict the mots were carried out... Still if it had of been tested properly I can only assume that it would of been scrapped years ago, whether or not that was a good thing im undecided.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After thinking about it for a while I realised that the anti roll bar would come off if i unbolted the exhaust down pipe.

After a rub down, etch priming and satin black top coat. I also fitted new stabaliser links.

I was also going to fit new anti roll bar bushes, however as is becoming a common theme with this Van there turns out to be at least 2 different sizes and the ones in my store have too large a centre bore.

I think I have now found the correct size ones online, however if not then the original rubber would actually for a change probably surfice.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The front struts on this van have been driving me insane. Ive had an absolute nightmare in trying to get some replacement wheel bearings for my replacement struts.. If i got bearings that would fit in the struts, then the hubs wouldnt fit. If I got them to fit the hubs then they wouldnt fit in the struts!

Looking at the original struts, as Ive commented before i thought the O/S was only fit for scrap.

After a lot of studying I think what is quite likely to of happened is that the bottom half of my struts have come off an early non ABS Mk3 Cavalier, and the tops off a Mk2 Astra, was this something that the previous owner has done or was it done in the factory due to a shortage of parts, I will probably never know. Anyway I mentioned my problem to a good mechanic friend of mine and he suggested using the ones I took off. He said that when he used to work on older Vauxhalls the metal in the struts was always thicker than needed and it was only likely to be the outer, part of a mm of metal delaminating making them look worse than they actually are. He said the real test would be in unscrewing the top nut, If the steel held with the torque you needed to apply then thered be nothing really wrong with the metal. With the lack of other options I thought Id give it a go.

After initally trying and the nut refusing to budge i put the whole assembly up the nose of the space heater, (not what you need with todays weather!)
After about 20 minutes I tried again and the nut came undone. After wire brushing with the angle grinder I was pleasantly suprised as to how solid the metal turned out to be. Just for good measure I applied some crack detection fluid and found nothing.

The original bearings proved to be also a nightmare to remove, the one took over 50 tonnes to shift, also the circlips didnt want to play ball. To put the icing on the cake the hole in the new backing plates is too small so will have to be cut out over size!

4 hours later after applying first rust killer, then red oxide, followed up with Satin Black, I dont think theyve come out too bad.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you are having problems finding replacement bearings, it may be worth ringing around local bearing suppliers, not auto-factors.

They will have catalogues of a much wider range of bearing sizes.

Consider a good brand like SKF etc.
All bearings will be etched with a part number and manufactuer.

Although I am sure you have considered this already.

I used a pin punch to drift out the bearings on the rear brake hubs of Troy's Nova.
A good whallop with a lump hammer soon had the outer races out of the hub
-----------------------

Ah the disc dust shield conundrum...
Exactly the issue I had with my Cav.
I still haven't fitted my disk shields.
In fact I think I sold my bigger shields to James.
-----------------

Those struts are looking much better now.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks for the suggestions with the bearings. I have spoken to a couple of actual bearing wholesalers and it would appear the bearings i wanted for the new struts with the old hubs dont exist. The one said if I wanted to order a reasonable quantity then there's a Chinese firm that would probably custom make them, but I ruled this out on cost and quality concerns, Chinese stuff can be hit and miss.
By using the struts that came off the van I can use off the shelf bearings that have now been fitted. I think the make was Febi. Originally I wasnt going down this route as I thought the one strut wasn't salvageable.
You were lucky being able to use a punch, recently I've had to use the press regularly, the other day in fact it actually reached the full 70tonnes before the shaft I was pressing gave, the only thing holding that one in place was a taper.
I'd rather fit the dust shields so hopefully I can open the centre holes out a bit more. Its all sent to try us...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Ive been having fun and games with these struts! As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I'm 99% certain the Febi packaged wheel bearings that i purchased off ebay are infact counterfit Chinese Knock Offs! As soon as I pressed the hubs in they self destructed. Getting the remains out was also interesting to put it mildly.

Luckily I had a pair from a different source in my Store, the metal on these is alltogether thicker and has a better quality feel to them. Anyway after re freezing the hubs down, they slid in no problem.

Before anyone comments, I didnt forget to fit the backing plates first, rather I had to cut them as per the Haynes Manual to remove the hubs without damaging the plates.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

This in turn meant that after about a months worth of Sunday mornings I was finally able to refit the struts to the van.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Next was to fit the backing plates and discs. Its been a long time since ive seen something without vented discs, still with a mighty 53BHP on tap I doubt its much of a concern!

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

This was followed by Recon Calipers and a new set of Brake pads, plus a fitting kit and Brake pipes etc. I had 2 pattern bolt covers and 2 genuine, the pattern wouldnt fit, so ive had to order 2 more genuine.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

What I thought would be a simple Job, turned out to be an absolute nightmare, and that was fitting the wishbones. You really needed an extra person to help, so I ran out of time this morning and only got the N/S one fitted.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

53 hp was quite reasonable in the 80's
We are all spoilt now by the rediculously powerful engines.
Bear in mind that engines back then were not hindered by catalytic converters or emissions control.
True raw power back then.

I am sure it is a relief to be getting another job boxed-off, especially when they fight you all the way.