removing driveshaft

Post queries regarding your Mk3 Cavalier's mechanical components (engine, transmission, turbochargers etc.) here
steven240374

removing driveshaft

Post by steven240374 »

Hi i have been trying to change the strut top mount but i cant get the leg off the driveshaft does it just need pulling off the spline or is there any securing screws to undo first got everything else undone but had to put it all back together because of it :wall :wall :wall i have a haynes manual but in that it says it has to be removed from the gearbox aswell but didnt fancy doing that ta in advance anyone
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: removing driveshaft

Post by Envoy CDX »

I'm assuming you've split the balljoint on the wishbone? removed the splitpin and 30/32mm castle nut?
If so, wind the nut on a few threads and give it a light tap with a light faced mallet.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: removing driveshaft

Post by Robsey »

To do a strut removal, I would

Remove the brake callipers from the hub / carrier, so that the brake hoses are not starined.

1) Disconnect track rod ball joint from strut

2) Disconnect wishbone balljoint from strut

3) Undo the 30mm castle-top nut from end of drive shaft

As Gary says, put the nut on the last two threads of the drive shaft, and then knock through with a soft face (plastic) dead-blow mallet

4) remove drive shaft nut

5) loosen the strut top nuts (x 3) but do not remove, so that you can swing the strut off the shaft.

6) Remove the nuts, and allow the leg to drop out from the wheel arch.